Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why I Started on Youtube?

So.. you may or may not be wondering why i started to do makeup videos on Youtube. I know that before i got into this i, myself, wondered how or why girls did this. So here is my answer. I started watching makeup tutorials around May-June 2008. That was pretty much the first time i discovered the beauty community on youtube. (it was also the first time i really used youtube. Before that i kind of didn't know too much about Youtube or what it was LOL) It was kind of by accident as i had somewhere to go and i wanted to try to do a smokey eye but i had no idea how. And as an act of impulse i randomly typed in 'smokey eye' into youtube not really expecting much. But!! my gosh.. i felt like i unlocked this world of awesomeness LOL. Not only were there tutorials for smokey eyes but there was so much makeup tips and tricks i was completely shocked. From there, i created a random youtube account and started subscribing once i figured out how to (i'm pretty slow lol). So from there on.. i started practising whenever i had the time.. i started to pick up on the tips and started to find what worked best for me. It takes a lot of time and patience. The first time i tried a smokey eye, i wore it to the function i had to go to, being proud of my achievement, but when i look back at the photos now, i definately resembled a panda bear. LOL. I can't believe i went out like that. Although.. they are good memories, i would like to think i have gotten better now.. i hope.
So anyway, it was from there on i kind of spent my spare time watching these videos, i have a few favourites, and when i can, i practice. Now, i'm not really a artistic, creative type of person. i pretty much suck at any type of drawings etc so it took me a long time to really get anywhere makeup wise. On top of that, i didn't know there were so many brushes involved! i 100% before youtube had no idea about brushes, i didn't even know that so many different brushes were used for different techniques. i know.. im so sad lol. But you know, it takes a really long time to learn all of this, well for me anyway. It's because of youtube, i own so much makeup (for my personal use). It's definately not alot compared to the other gurus, but it's alot compared to what i would have owned if i didnt get involved with Youtube. I never really took interest in cosmetics before this time, but it's only now, i know that makeup is something i love doing.
So why post videos? Well.. i wanted to give back from what i learnt. I know that there are so many talented gurus on youtube, so so many and it would take me years and years to reach their levels. But instead, i want to take it one step at a time and help those that want to start just the way i did. I know how helpful it is to watch someone who also just starts out with makeup and keeps the tutorials simple. That's what i'm aiming to do. Simple and quick. Well, that's the stage that i feel i'm at. I'm not going to say i'm a pro or anything because i'm no where near, i'm only starting also :) it took me awhile to build up the courage. I'm usually a shy person so to put myself out there seemed like a risky thing. But i thought to myself, what do i have to lose? Basically if i uploaded this video then a lot of people that i don't know may or may not watch it. But i was intrigued to see if anyone would. And they did..sort of. It took me a long while to start putting up more videos after my first one but now it seems to be ok, i think i'm slowly getting there..
My highlight of my short youtube time would have to be co-hosting BlogTV with MichellePhan aka RiceBunny. It was kind of a spur of the moment but it was definately memorable. Even though i didnt say much, i was too shocked haha and also because my net was lagging hardcore >_< but she is definately a big inspiration to me so i was excited :)

But yeah.. this is so long! lol i didnt expect it to be this long but basically you get the idea as to how and why i started youtube videos. I hope this kind of lets you know about where i came from and into youtube and for those that want to get into it, give it a go! you have nothing to lose :)

-N

No comments:

Post a Comment